Welcome to HardwareForumz.com!
FAQFAQ    SearchSearch      ProfileProfile    Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in

what card should I use

 
   Hardware Problem Solving Community! (Home) -> Nvidia RSS
Next:  Low-resource temperature monitoring utility for n..  
Author Message
Harvey

External


Since: Apr 20, 2007
Posts: 6



(Msg. 1) Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:26 am
Post subject: what card should I use
Archived from groups: alt>comp>periphs>videocards>nvidia (more info?)

for the game
Heroes of Might and Magic V - Tribes of the East

 >> Stay informed about: what card should I use 
Back to top
Login to vote
Harvey

External


Since: Apr 20, 2007
Posts: 6



(Msg. 2) Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:26 am
Post subject: what card should I use
Archived from groups: alt>comp>periphs>videocards>ati (more info?)

for the game Heroes of Might and Magic V - Tribes of the East

 >> Stay informed about: what card should I use 
Back to top
Login to vote
DaveW

External


Since: May 21, 2007
Posts: 230



(Msg. 3) Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:26 am
Post subject: Re: what card should I use [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: alt>comp>periphs>videocards>nvidia (more info?)

Care to tell us what other hardware you are using so that we can make an
informed comment...?

--
---------------------
DaveW

---------------------
"Harvey" wrote in message

> for the game
> Heroes of Might and Magic V - Tribes of the East
>
>
 >> Stay informed about: what card should I use 
Back to top
Login to vote
Paul57

External


Since: Oct 09, 2004
Posts: 2509



(Msg. 4) Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:54 am
Post subject: Re: what card should I use [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

Harvey wrote:
> for the game
> Heroes of Might and Magic V - Tribes of the East
>
>

There are system requirements listed here for the game.

http://digitalstore.ubi.com/5124/product/Buy-Heroes-of-Might-and-Magic...-Tribes

You could buy a card good enough for this game only,
or buy a card that will help with other, future games.

The 7600GT, for example, is available in both PCI Express x16
format, or in AGP format. You'd pick a card that fits the
video slot on your motherboard. This is a DirectX 9 card
and is midrange.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?Category=38&N=1067920131...bmit=EN

From the ATI camp, you could get an X1950pro. This card is also
available for PCI Express x16 or for AGP. This is a DirectX 9 card.
It is an upper midrange video card.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&Description=...50pro%2

If you have a fairly recent motherboard, it might have a
PCI Express x16 video slot. That is the "slot du jour" right
now, and the majority of video cards for sale now, will be
of the PCI Express x16 type. The 8800GT, for example, was launched
a few days ago, and is an example of a high end card, at a
reasonable price. But supply is limited, because they just
started shipping. The 8800 family, are examples of cards that
run DirectX 9 or DX10 (with DX10 only working on Vista).
The card is perfectly capable of playing in DX9 mode, on
an older OS like WinXP.

I expect all of the above, can handle your new game. With the
more expensive cards (like 8800GT) being a tiny bit more
future proof. Whether using a high end card makes sense, may
depend on how powerful the rest of the computer is. In some
cases, if the CPU is a bit on the weak side, it may not be
able to "shovel coal" fast enough to make good use of a
powerful video card Smile Matching CPUs to video cards is not
an exact science, so opinions will vary on that subject.
(It would take a hell of a lot of benchmarks, to make a good
resource for customers, and there simply isn't enough info out
there, to answer every possible question you could ask.)

For example, the grey bars on this chart, show what happens
to video performance, when an underpowered CPU is used. Notice
how the expensive cards are being limited, by the weak CPU.
In this example, anything more than a Radeon 8500, is probably
a waste of money, if the CPU is only an Athlon 1000. This chart
is from four years ago, so a few things have changed since then.

http://www.tomshardware.com/2003/01/20/vga_charts_ii/page6.html

Paul
 >> Stay informed about: what card should I use 
Back to top
Login to vote
John Adams

External


Since: Oct 12, 2007
Posts: 22



(Msg. 5) Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:28 am
Post subject: Re: what card should I use [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

Harvey wrote:
> for the game
> Heroes of Might and Magic V - Tribes of the East
>
>
8800GT was just released and is the best bang for buck card there is
right now. Most online stores have already sold out though so you may
have to wait a few days to be able to buy it.
 >> Stay informed about: what card should I use 
Back to top
Login to vote
peter

External


Since: Feb 01, 2006
Posts: 173



(Msg. 6) Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:16 am
Post subject: Re: what card should I use [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: alt>comp>periphs>videocards>ati (more info?)

8800 GT
peter
"Harvey" wrote in message

> for the game Heroes of Might and Magic V - Tribes of the East
>
>
 >> Stay informed about: what card should I use 
Back to top
Login to vote
Harvey

External


Since: Apr 20, 2007
Posts: 6



(Msg. 7) Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:50 pm
Post subject: Re: what card should I use [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: alt>comp>periphs>videocards>nvidia (more info?)

Thankx for the info
I have a 3800 with 3G of mem. My mb is the only thing running my vid, and
it happens to be an ati 1250 chip.

I'm not a big gammer. The biggest problem is that going with an 8800 so
something the same in ati I'll have to get a better ps (right now I'm
running 350W). To get a card that "will do" is my best option. By time I
decide to get a more demanding game it will be time to upgrade my system
anyway. This one is only <6 months old.

What card could I get without having to buy a new ps. With this onboard
s$#% I getting 1fps if I'm lucky.
"Paul" wrote in message
> Harvey wrote:
> > for the game
> > Heroes of Might and Magic V - Tribes of the East
> >
> >
>
> There are system requirements listed here for the game.
>
>
http://digitalstore.ubi.com/5124/product/Buy-Heroes-of-Might-and-Magic...-Tribes
>
> You could buy a card good enough for this game only,
> or buy a card that will help with other, future games.
>
> The 7600GT, for example, is available in both PCI Express x16
> format, or in AGP format. You'd pick a card that fits the
> video slot on your motherboard. This is a DirectX 9 card
> and is midrange.
>
>
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?Category=38&N=1067920131...bmit=EN
>
> From the ATI camp, you could get an X1950pro. This card is also
> available for PCI Express x16 or for AGP. This is a DirectX 9 card.
> It is an upper midrange video card.
>
>
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&Description=...50pro%2
>
> If you have a fairly recent motherboard, it might have a
> PCI Express x16 video slot. That is the "slot du jour" right
> now, and the majority of video cards for sale now, will be
> of the PCI Express x16 type. The 8800GT, for example, was launched
> a few days ago, and is an example of a high end card, at a
> reasonable price. But supply is limited, because they just
> started shipping. The 8800 family, are examples of cards that
> run DirectX 9 or DX10 (with DX10 only working on Vista).
> The card is perfectly capable of playing in DX9 mode, on
> an older OS like WinXP.
>
> I expect all of the above, can handle your new game. With the
> more expensive cards (like 8800GT) being a tiny bit more
> future proof. Whether using a high end card makes sense, may
> depend on how powerful the rest of the computer is. In some
> cases, if the CPU is a bit on the weak side, it may not be
> able to "shovel coal" fast enough to make good use of a
> powerful video card Smile Matching CPUs to video cards is not
> an exact science, so opinions will vary on that subject.
> (It would take a hell of a lot of benchmarks, to make a good
> resource for customers, and there simply isn't enough info out
> there, to answer every possible question you could ask.)
>
> For example, the grey bars on this chart, show what happens
> to video performance, when an underpowered CPU is used. Notice
> how the expensive cards are being limited, by the weak CPU.
> In this example, anything more than a Radeon 8500, is probably
> a waste of money, if the CPU is only an Athlon 1000. This chart
> is from four years ago, so a few things have changed since then.
>
> http://www.tomshardware.com/2003/01/20/vga_charts_ii/page6.html
>
> Paul
 >> Stay informed about: what card should I use 
Back to top
Login to vote
Paul57

External


Since: Oct 09, 2004
Posts: 2509



(Msg. 8) Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:51 pm
Post subject: Re: what card should I use [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

Harvey wrote:
> Thankx for the info
> I have a 3800 with 3G of mem. My mb is the only thing running my vid, and
> it happens to be an ati 1250 chip.
>
> I'm not a big gammer. The biggest problem is that going with an 8800 so
> something the same in ati I'll have to get a better ps (right now I'm
> running 350W). To get a card that "will do" is my best option. By time I
> decide to get a more demanding game it will be time to upgrade my system
> anyway. This one is only <6 months old.
>
> What card could I get without having to buy a new ps. With this onboard
> s$#% I getting 1fps if I'm lucky.

A 7600GT is easy on power. 36 to 38 watts.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/xfx-7600gt-xxx_5.html

The X1950Pro is mentioned in passing here, as 65 watts. (scroll down)

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/powercolor-hd2600pro_4.html

Some of the 8xxx cards from Nvidia are mentioned here. 8800GTS is 106W.
The 8800GT apparently, is easier on power. I don't see a measurement on
Xbitlabs, but another early card review says it is about 20W less than the
8800GTS. Still too much, if you're worried about power.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/geforce8600gts_7.html

The 7600GT wins on power, in the above list.

HTH,
Paul

> "Paul" wrote in message
>> Harvey wrote:
>>> for the game
>>> Heroes of Might and Magic V - Tribes of the East
>>>
>>>
>> There are system requirements listed here for the game.
>>
>>
> http://digitalstore.ubi.com/5124/product/Buy-Heroes-of-Might-and-Magic...-Tribes
>> You could buy a card good enough for this game only,
>> or buy a card that will help with other, future games.
>>
>> The 7600GT, for example, is available in both PCI Express x16
>> format, or in AGP format. You'd pick a card that fits the
>> video slot on your motherboard. This is a DirectX 9 card
>> and is midrange.
>>
>>
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?Category=38&N=1067920131...bmit=EN
>> From the ATI camp, you could get an X1950pro. This card is also
>> available for PCI Express x16 or for AGP. This is a DirectX 9 card.
>> It is an upper midrange video card.
>>
>>
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&Description=...50pro%2
>> If you have a fairly recent motherboard, it might have a
>> PCI Express x16 video slot. That is the "slot du jour" right
>> now, and the majority of video cards for sale now, will be
>> of the PCI Express x16 type. The 8800GT, for example, was launched
>> a few days ago, and is an example of a high end card, at a
>> reasonable price. But supply is limited, because they just
>> started shipping. The 8800 family, are examples of cards that
>> run DirectX 9 or DX10 (with DX10 only working on Vista).
>> The card is perfectly capable of playing in DX9 mode, on
>> an older OS like WinXP.
>>
>> I expect all of the above, can handle your new game. With the
>> more expensive cards (like 8800GT) being a tiny bit more
>> future proof. Whether using a high end card makes sense, may
>> depend on how powerful the rest of the computer is. In some
>> cases, if the CPU is a bit on the weak side, it may not be
>> able to "shovel coal" fast enough to make good use of a
>> powerful video card Smile Matching CPUs to video cards is not
>> an exact science, so opinions will vary on that subject.
>> (It would take a hell of a lot of benchmarks, to make a good
>> resource for customers, and there simply isn't enough info out
>> there, to answer every possible question you could ask.)
>>
>> For example, the grey bars on this chart, show what happens
>> to video performance, when an underpowered CPU is used. Notice
>> how the expensive cards are being limited, by the weak CPU.
>> In this example, anything more than a Radeon 8500, is probably
>> a waste of money, if the CPU is only an Athlon 1000. This chart
>> is from four years ago, so a few things have changed since then.
>>
>> http://www.tomshardware.com/2003/01/20/vga_charts_ii/page6.html
>>
>> Paul
>
>
 >> Stay informed about: what card should I use 
Back to top
Login to vote
goPostal

External


Since: Jan 21, 2007
Posts: 19



(Msg. 9) Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:31 am
Post subject: Re: what card should I use [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

"Paul" wrote in message
> Harvey wrote:
>> Thankx for the info
>> I have a 3800 with 3G of mem. My mb is the only thing running my vid,
>> and
>> it happens to be an ati 1250 chip.
>>
>> I'm not a big gammer. The biggest problem is that going with an 8800 so
>> something the same in ati I'll have to get a better ps (right now I'm
>> running 350W). To get a card that "will do" is my best option. By time
>> I
>> decide to get a more demanding game it will be time to upgrade my system
>> anyway. This one is only <6 months old.
>>
>> What card could I get without having to buy a new ps. With this onboard
>> s$#% I getting 1fps if I'm lucky.
>
> A 7600GT is easy on power. 36 to 38 watts.
>
> http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/xfx-7600gt-xxx_5.html
>
> The X1950Pro is mentioned in passing here, as 65 watts. (scroll down)
>
> http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/powercolor-hd2600pro_4.html
>
> Some of the 8xxx cards from Nvidia are mentioned here. 8800GTS is 106W.
> The 8800GT apparently, is easier on power. I don't see a measurement on
> Xbitlabs, but another early card review says it is about 20W less than the
> 8800GTS. Still too much, if you're worried about power.
>
> http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/geforce8600gts_7.html
>

I am using an 8600gt while my 7900GS is getting RMA'd. It's low power but
not very strong. There is a big difference between the two. I wish I had not
bought it and went for the 8800. You get what you pay for.
 >> Stay informed about: what card should I use 
Back to top
Login to vote
Harvey

External


Since: Apr 20, 2007
Posts: 6



(Msg. 10) Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:59 am
Post subject: Re: what card should I use [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

I went for the 8600 and I have it working on a 350W ps allong with 2 HD. I
also have 3800. I ran the game and there are no problems. I did buy an
earthwatts 500 just in case.
"goPostal" wrote in message

>
> "Paul" wrote in message
> > Harvey wrote:
> >> Thankx for the info
> >> I have a 3800 with 3G of mem. My mb is the only thing running my vid,
> >> and
> >> it happens to be an ati 1250 chip.
> >>
> >> I'm not a big gammer. The biggest problem is that going with an 8800
so
> >> something the same in ati I'll have to get a better ps (right now I'm
> >> running 350W). To get a card that "will do" is my best option. By
time
> >> I
> >> decide to get a more demanding game it will be time to upgrade my
system
> >> anyway. This one is only <6 months old.
> >>
> >> What card could I get without having to buy a new ps. With this
onboard
> >> s$#% I getting 1fps if I'm lucky.
> >
> > A 7600GT is easy on power. 36 to 38 watts.
> >
> > http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/xfx-7600gt-xxx_5.html
> >
> > The X1950Pro is mentioned in passing here, as 65 watts. (scroll down)
> >
> >
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/powercolor-hd2600pro_4.html
> >
> > Some of the 8xxx cards from Nvidia are mentioned here. 8800GTS is 106W.
> > The 8800GT apparently, is easier on power. I don't see a measurement on
> > Xbitlabs, but another early card review says it is about 20W less than
the
> > 8800GTS. Still too much, if you're worried about power.
> >
> > http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/geforce8600gts_7.html
> >
>
> I am using an 8600gt while my 7900GS is getting RMA'd. It's low power but
> not very strong. There is a big difference between the two. I wish I had
not
> bought it and went for the 8800. You get what you pay for.
>
>
 >> Stay informed about: what card should I use 
Back to top
Login to vote
gabbey.maps

External


Since: Sep 29, 2007
Posts: 31



(Msg. 11) Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:02 pm
Post subject: Re: what card should I use [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

On Mon, 05 Nov 2007 06:18:15 GMT, "Harvey"
brought the following to our attention:

>I went for the 8600 and I have it working on a 350W ps allong with 2 HD. I
>also have 3800. I ran the game and there are no problems. I did buy an
>earthwatts 500 just in case.

You mean, as a safety margin yes? Arr arr

Not to be a joker, have a look at the power consumption spec once more:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/images/video/geforce8600gts/8600gts_power.gif


The old 15" monitors used to dissipate 130 watts, and they are massive
in comparison.

-G
 >> Stay informed about: what card should I use 
Back to top
Login to vote
slayerman89

External


Since: Nov 07, 2007
Posts: 1



(Msg. 12) Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:18 am
Post subject: Re: what card should I use [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: alt>comp>periphs>videocards>ati (more info?)

On Oct 30, 12:26 pm, "Harvey" wrote:
> for the game Heroes of Might and Magic V - Tribes of the East

The one where you uninstall it and play a good Heroes game, IV or III.
 >> Stay informed about: what card should I use 
Back to top
Login to vote
Display posts from previous:   
Related Topics:
What TV-OUT card is best? - Hi, I would like to get a new video card with a TV-out so that I can see the PC output on a TV, for example AVI format movies. I would like some opinions on what is the best card to use for this purpose. Anyone have previous experience with this? Please...

Best value pre FX card then. - For under $40, or list of cards I should be looking for, until I can afford a proper FX ot ATI equivalent (without draining my funds too much for that anticipation)

T.V. from gfx card? - My brother is disabled and wants to be able to surf the net etc. from his bed using a wireless kbd. and mouse. He doesn't have the room for an additional monitor (and with his eyes the way they are, it would have to be a 27") and doesn't want one. ...

which card is best - Sorry i am new here, but which card is best. 128mb Geforce Fx5200 8x AGP or Geforce Ti4200 128mb 8x AGP

which card should i get? - looking at the abit 5700 ultra, and the bfg 5900. i play some games, but mostly watch dvd's using the tv out. tia, doorman
   Hardware Problem Solving Community! (Home) -> Nvidia All times are: Pacific Time (US & Canada)
Page 1 of 1

 
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Warning: fopen(/home/adsense_reject.txt) [function.fopen]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /home/autoforu/public_html/Giga/GigaFunctions.php on line 1142

Warning: fwrite(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /home/autoforu/public_html/Giga/GigaFunctions.php on line 1143

Warning: fclose(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /home/autoforu/public_html/Giga/GigaFunctions.php on line 1144



[ Contact us | Terms of Service/Privacy Policy ]