Welcome to HardwareForumz.com!
FAQFAQ    SearchSearch      ProfileProfile    Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in

Restart when applying SLI?

 
   Hardware Problem Solving Community! (Home) -> Nvidia RSS
Next:  3d mark results.  
Author Message
blah

External


Since: Oct 30, 2007
Posts: 4



(Msg. 1) Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:59 pm
Post subject: Restart when applying SLI?
Archived from groups: alt>comp>periphs>videocards>nvidia (more info?)

For some reason, my PC has started asking me to restart to turn on SLI, it
didn't used to do this - disabling it doesn't require me to restart?

I'm using a twin set of NVidia 7950GT's.

Other thing, does anyone yet know a way to get dual monitors working with
SLI enabled?

Cheers, @sh

 >> Stay informed about: Restart when applying SLI? 
Back to top
Login to vote
Ed Medlin

External


Since: Sep 28, 2004
Posts: 533



(Msg. 2) Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:59 pm
Post subject: Re: Restart when applying SLI? [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

"@sh" wrote in message

> For some reason, my PC has started asking me to restart to turn on SLI, it
> didn't used to do this - disabling it doesn't require me to restart?
>
> I'm using a twin set of NVidia 7950GT's.
>
> Other thing, does anyone yet know a way to get dual monitors working with
> SLI enabled?
>
> Cheers, @sh
With my 8800GTXs, even though the earlier drivers did not ask to restart,
SLI would not be active until I did restart it. Later drivers always remind
you to restart to activate the function. I haven't really tried to do
anything with dual monitors yet.

\
Ed
>

 >> Stay informed about: Restart when applying SLI? 
Back to top
Login to vote
Mr.E Solved!

External


Since: Dec 10, 2006
Posts: 354



(Msg. 3) Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:37 pm
Post subject: Re: Restart when applying SLI? [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

@sh wrote:

> Other thing, does anyone yet know a way to get dual monitors working with
> SLI enabled?

Yup, you need Quad SLI!
 >> Stay informed about: Restart when applying SLI? 
Back to top
Login to vote
gamefixer

External


Since: Sep 21, 2007
Posts: 16



(Msg. 4) Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:59 pm
Post subject: Re: Restart when applying SLI? [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

On Nov 1, 6:00 am, "@sh" wrote:
> For some reason, my PC has started asking me to restart to turn on SLI, it
> didn't used to do this - disabling it doesn't require me to restart?
>
> I'm using a twin set of NVidia 7950GT's.
>
> Other thing, does anyone yet know a way to get dual monitors working with
> SLI enabled?
>
> Cheers, @sh

I had a pair of 7900's in SLI and added a PCI GeForce Ti4200 for the
second monitor. I was told it wouldnt work correctly when I enabled
SLI but it worked fine.

Matt
 >> Stay informed about: Restart when applying SLI? 
Back to top
Login to vote
First of One

External


Since: Mar 14, 2007
Posts: 493



(Msg. 5) Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:48 am
Post subject: Re: Restart when applying SLI? [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

"@sh" wrote in message

> For some reason, my PC has started asking me to restart to turn on SLI, it
> didn't used to do this - disabling it doesn't require me to restart?

As you know, in the very beginning (6800 era) toggling SLI always required a
restart. Eventually (at v81.85) the drivers were improved such that a
restart is usually not required, but the functionality wasn't robust.
Uninstall and install the drivers again, and you should regain the ability
to toggle SLI without restarting. See:
http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=ODY5LDIsLGhlbnRodXNpYXN0

Interestingly, in my experience Crossfire is very robust in this regard. As
long as the two cards have equal amounts of RAM, a restart is never needed
to toggle Crossfire.

> Other thing, does anyone yet know a way to get dual monitors working with
> SLI enabled?

I don't think it will ever happen for technical reasons. The idea is that
you "should" be able to toggle SLI after every gaming session to re-enable
multi-monitors.

Of course, you could always pick up a single 8800GT and achieve similar
performance in most games with none of the headaches. Smile

--
"War is the continuation of politics by other means.
It can therefore be said that politics is war without
bloodshed while war is politics with bloodshed."
 >> Stay informed about: Restart when applying SLI? 
Back to top
Login to vote
gamefixer

External


Since: Sep 21, 2007
Posts: 16



(Msg. 6) Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:28 am
Post subject: Re: Restart when applying SLI? [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

On Nov 1, 6:48 pm, "First of One" wrote:
> "@sh" wrote in message
>
>
>
> > For some reason, my PC has started asking me to restart to turn on SLI, it
> > didn't used to do this - disabling it doesn't require me to restart?
>
> As you know, in the very beginning (6800 era) toggling SLI always required a
> restart. Eventually (at v81.85) the drivers were improved such that a
> restart is usually not required, but the functionality wasn't robust.
> Uninstall and install the drivers again, and you should regain the ability
> to toggle SLI without restarting. See:http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=ODY5LDIsLGhlbnRodXNpYXN0
>
> Interestingly, in my experience Crossfire is very robust in this regard. As
> long as the two cards have equal amounts of RAM, a restart is never needed
> to toggle Crossfire.
>
> > Other thing, does anyone yet know a way to get dual monitors working with
> > SLI enabled?
>
> I don't think it will ever happen for technical reasons. The idea is that
> you "should" be able to toggle SLI after every gaming session to re-enable
> multi-monitors.

Thats what I was told but I tried putting another Nvidia card in a PCI
slot anyway and it worked. Guess I got lucky.

Matt
 >> Stay informed about: Restart when applying SLI? 
Back to top
Login to vote
blah

External


Since: Oct 30, 2007
Posts: 4



(Msg. 7) Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:53 pm
Post subject: Re: Restart when applying SLI? [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

Thanks all for your help, interesting stuff, perhaps the single additional
vid card wil be the best idea, if only I had another PCI-E port, guess it'll
have to be PCI!!

Thanks again.

Cheers, Ash

"gamefixer" wrote in message

> On Nov 1, 6:48 pm, "First of One" wrote:
>> "@sh" wrote in message
>>
>>
>>
>> > For some reason, my PC has started asking me to restart to turn on SLI,
>> > it
>> > didn't used to do this - disabling it doesn't require me to restart?
>>
>> As you know, in the very beginning (6800 era) toggling SLI always
>> required a
>> restart. Eventually (at v81.85) the drivers were improved such that a
>> restart is usually not required, but the functionality wasn't robust.
>> Uninstall and install the drivers again, and you should regain the
>> ability
>> to toggle SLI without restarting.
>> See:http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=ODY5LDIsLGhlbnRodXNpYXN0
>>
>> Interestingly, in my experience Crossfire is very robust in this regard.
>> As
>> long as the two cards have equal amounts of RAM, a restart is never
>> needed
>> to toggle Crossfire.
>>
>> > Other thing, does anyone yet know a way to get dual monitors working
>> > with
>> > SLI enabled?
>>
>> I don't think it will ever happen for technical reasons. The idea is that
>> you "should" be able to toggle SLI after every gaming session to
>> re-enable
>> multi-monitors.
>
> Thats what I was told but I tried putting another Nvidia card in a PCI
> slot anyway and it worked. Guess I got lucky.
>
> Matt
>
>
 >> Stay informed about: Restart when applying SLI? 
Back to top
Login to vote
gamefixer

External


Since: Sep 21, 2007
Posts: 16



(Msg. 8) Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 2:16 am
Post subject: Re: Restart when applying SLI? [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

On Nov 2, 7:53 am, "@sh" wrote:
> Thanks all for your help, interesting stuff, perhaps the single additional
> vid card wil be the best idea, if only I had another PCI-E port, guess it'll
> have to be PCI!!
>
> Thanks again.
>
> Cheers, Ash
>
> "gamefixer" wrote in message
>
>
>
>
>
> > On Nov 1, 6:48 pm, "First of One" wrote:
> >> "@sh" wrote in message
>
> >>
>
> >> > For some reason, my PC has started asking me to restart to turn on SLI,
> >> > it
> >> > didn't used to do this - disabling it doesn't require me to restart?
>
> >> As you know, in the very beginning (6800 era) toggling SLI always
> >> required a
> >> restart. Eventually (at v81.85) the drivers were improved such that a
> >> restart is usually not required, but the functionality wasn't robust.
> >> Uninstall and install the drivers again, and you should regain the
> >> ability
> >> to toggle SLI without restarting.
> >> See:http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=ODY5LDIsLGhlbnRodXNpYXN0
>
> >> Interestingly, in my experience Crossfire is very robust in this regard.
> >> As
> >> long as the two cards have equal amounts of RAM, a restart is never
> >> needed
> >> to toggle Crossfire.
>
> >> > Other thing, does anyone yet know a way to get dual monitors working
> >> > with
> >> > SLI enabled?
>
> >> I don't think it will ever happen for technical reasons. The idea is that
> >> you "should" be able to toggle SLI after every gaming session to
> >> re-enable
> >> multi-monitors.
>
> > Thats what I was told but I tried putting another Nvidia card in a PCI
> > slot anyway and it worked. Guess I got lucky.
>
> > Matt- Hide quoted text -
>
> - Show quoted text -

Just to be clear, I used a PCI card not PCIe.

Matt
 >> Stay informed about: Restart when applying SLI? 
Back to top
Login to vote
Display posts from previous:   
Related Topics:
6800 Ultra overclocking - XFX? PNY? eVGA? BFG? - In spite of the difficulty in acquiring a 6800 Ultra for the time being, I'm going to get one. I intend to overclock it as much as seems safe. I'm undecided on what sort of cooling to use. It could be stock, or it could be that $125 waterblock, or..

GForce 4 Ti 4600 128MB or GForce FX 5600 XT-TD 128 - Hi Which would perform better on a MSI K7N2 Delta-ILSR AMD XP2800 1GB of ram. Also which driver set would be the best for each? TIA

Slot Fans - With summer coming i am already starting to see higher temps and that makes me a little worried cause i have a preety weak cooling system. Should i put in an exaust fan and a slot fan for my video card

New NForce motherboard drivers, also new Abit NF7 bioses .. -

Kyle Bennett (HardOCP) blasts NVIDIA - quote: "The last year has been an incredible year when it comes to video cards. No wait, it has not. It has been an incredible year when it comes to video card companies that develop the technology. As far as the actual hardware goes, the Radeon R3X...
   Hardware Problem Solving Community! (Home) -> Nvidia All times are: Pacific Time (US & Canada)
Page 1 of 1

 
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum



[ Contact us | Terms of Service/Privacy Policy ]